Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Community Supported Forage

What a fantastic idea! A nod to Chow.com for sharing the latest concept in CSA's. Community Supported Forage (instead of Agriculture).

Getting a box of foraged foods from the Black Hills would be fantastic. Last summer I collected rose hips up in Spearfish Canyon to add to my herbal tea blend which included spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, lemon verbena, lavendar and lemon balm from my garden. What I learned was that the best time to harvest rose hips is when they are bright red! I didn't know that at the time and ended up with some mint tea that tasted like dirt. This summer, I am in the know.

There are many berries in the Black Hills that I would like to learn about. I have to imagine there to be mushrooms, lettuce varieties and other greenery worth sampling. I've got this on my list of to-do's this summer: find a Black Hills forager guide.

No comments: