Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gluten Free Pizza

We just had gluten free pizza at the new BeauJo's in Rapid City and I was amazed at how CRISPY the crust was! It was served on a circle of parchment paper sort of wrapped around the crust. I am going to try it!

I've been making gluten-free pizza for several years. We used to buy pre-made crusts at our local Good Earth but it just got so expensive so we only purchase the pre-made versions in a pinch. I've played with many combinations but always start with this mix to sort of mimic regular wheat flour.

Here's the rest of the recipe for two pizza crusts. I use pizza stones.

1. Preheat to 425. First, grease each pizza stone. I use hard coconut oil using a coffee filter which I like because there are no pieces of paper towel left on my stone.
2. Sift together - the flour mix above, 1/2 cup chickpea or fava bean flour, 1/2 cup quinoa or teff flour, 2 tsp xanthan gum, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder. You can add other dried spices too -- I've used red pepper, basil and oregano with success. Just make sure they are gluten free.
3. Then measure out 1/2 cup of olive oil and mix into dry ingredients, first with a fork and then with your fingers to get everything mixed together - do it quickly, because the olive oil will start to glob together in big globs if you linger (from the heat of your hands). Your goal is 'little pebbles' of olive oil in the flour.
4. Measure out about 1 cup of water and mix into flour and stir. It will be slightly sticky. If it's too dry, just add a bit more water. Form two balls.
5. Put each ball on a pizza stone and use a rolling pin or your fingers to work the dough to the edges. It will be sticky so use some flour mix on your rolling pin or fingers.
6. Prick with fork and bake for 10 minutes. Then add toppings and bake another 25 or so minutes. Keep an eye on it.

Cut in pieces, this freezes very well.

My next experiment will be trying out parchment paper in search of a crispy crust!

No comments: