Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gluten Free Baking Flour Mix

I've been cooking gluten free for almost eight years and although, I would not call myself an expert, I've learned a TON about the ins and out of gluten free baking. In fact, I also do not use soy or dairy or anything artificial which adds a level of complexity.

There are many flour mix recipes that can (somewhat) substitute for wheat flour. I've tried many, many different combinations and the following is the best version and can typically be used in place of a regular recipe calling for flour. Of course, in a pinch, you can buy pre-made mixes but they are very expensive.

I like to make a big batch of this mix and keep it in the refrigerator so it's always handy. I use it all the time so not sure exactly how long it will last.

Mix together:

4 cups chick pea flour (or amaranth or millet or I've used a chick pea/fava mix)
4 cups white or brown rice flour
2 cups arrowroot starch
6 cups potato starch

One thing to add, I always like to sift the flour before using in recipes which really seems to help the texture.

No comments: