Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Geranium seeds bring a big surprise!


Each fall my garden is full of long seed pods, crunchy plants and weird spikes coming from previously beautiful flowers and vegetables. That's what happens when you let nature take over and your plants go to seed. I save the seeds and use them in next year's garden.

This summer, I had bought a flat of red geranium and they did so well. I planted the bright, happy flowers in pots on the deck and interspersed in my herb and veggie garden.

As I was clearing out the garden this fall, I noticed that they had actually gone to seed! The photo is what the seeds look like. Little twisty spirals with a circular white plum around the end. Amazing. I had never seen a germanium seed and plan to plant them in the spring.

No comments: